Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc. was founded as a steel fabrication business that specializes in welding, fabrication, and machining. While general industrial repairs and custom fabrication remains a large portion of our business, it was recognized that to expand sales it would be necessary to add a product line.
An opportunity arose to enter an ice control equipment line by producing the patented Harder Dump Box Spreader insert for dump trucks within our facilities. Quickly, after that, we realized that all-stainless salt spreaders were the direction the market was heading.
Wayne F. Smith
As President of Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc., Wayne oversees all functions of the corporation, in addition to designing and engineering new products. A Newark, NY native, he’s been with Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc. for 46 years after receiving his BSME from Clarkson University and having spent 5 years with the US Army Corp of Engineers. In his spare time, Wayne enjoys collecting electric toy trains, antique cartridge handguns, and classic automobiles.
As Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc.'s National Sales Manager since 2004, Ed travels from his home in Syracuse to our dealers across the country to sell our products – dumpbodies, spreaders, and platforms, in addition to building and maintaining relationships with new and existing clients. When Ed isn’t traveling for work, he enjoys traveling for leisure and spending as much time outdoors as possible.
Gail Rosann Tack
As the Office & HR Manager, Gail supports the company president and assists the management team, covers day-to-day operations, provides back-end office administration, and HR functions. Born and raised in Newark, Gail’s Business Management and Administration degree has served her extremely well during her 4-½ years with Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc. Outside of Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc., Gail is an avid reader, enjoys riding her bike, and spending time with family and friends.
1945 – Wilbur F. Smith, the company’s founder, relocated from Rochester, NY, where he was a machinist at Gleason Works, to Newark, NY. He opened a small welding shop in a dirt floor shed located on North Main St. in Newark and called the business Smith Farm Machine Repair.
1948 – Mr. Smith bought some land on the north side of Route 31 in East Newark and erected a 40' x 40' cinder block building.
1960 – A 24' x 40' cement block addition was erected on the east end of the building.
1963 – The business was incorporated and became known as Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc.
1970 – Wayne F. Smith, son of the founder, joined his father in the operation of the business. That same year, a 24' X 36' wood frame office complex was added to the west end of the building.
1975 – The business's founder and President, Wilbur F. Smith suffered a heart attack and passed away. Wayne F. Smith assumed leadership of the business and became Chief Executive Officer of the corporation.
1986 – Smith Metal Works of Newark, Inc. purchased adjoining land from the State of New York. A 40' x 60' steel addition was added to the east end of the building. At the same time, a 40' x 64' pole barn was erected for storage and warehousing.