Pre-Season Spreader Prep Checklist
From Smith Metal Works’ shop foreman, Chuck Raes: a Pre-Season Salt Spreader checklist to help keep you on track and prepared for the winter weather to come.
1. Check All Electrical
- Inspect wiring for damage – both truck side and spreader side;
replace or repair as necessary.
- Look for corrosion on components. Clean with corrosion
inhibiting spray or di-electric grease to ensure good connection.
2. Inspect Spreader for Damage
- Look for bent shafts, blown bearings, rusty chains, or a seized
3. Before You Test Run The
- Have a can of chain lube or used motor oil handy. Spray the
chains before you run the spreader. Safety first!
- Grease the spreader bearings, using a low viscosity moly grease.
4. Running The Spreader
- Watch your amperage. High amp draw indicates problems.
- Don’t be stingy with applying chain lube. Rusty, crusty chains
will cause your spreader to “over-work.”
- Listen to your spreader. Unusual groans, moans, squeals and
squeaks tell you something needs attention.
- Look and listen for vibrations. If your spreader is shaking
excessively, the spinner shaft is probably bent or the bearings
Remember: An ounce of prevention…
is worth a pound of Cure!
Thank you for owning a Smith product, we wish you luck and a happy salting season. Questions, requests or concerns? Please contact us here, or use this form to submit a specific spreader part request.